Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Healthy Salty Snacking

I believe that the key to weight loss is planning. Being unprepared specially when hunger strikes is a sure shot recipe to veer towards quick fixes to satiate the hunger. For example in my office if there is a late evening meeting - samosas from a very tasty samosa vendor are ordered. That is supplemented with hide and seek biscuits and coffee/ tea. In case I do succumb to this I will pile on about 600 unnecessary and seemingly harmless calories from the samosas and mindless biscuit munching.

I carry 2 snacks to office. Usually a fruit for a mid-morning snack . In the evenings, I tend towards some dates and nuts, or a yogurt. But since I am always trying to come down on the carbs and up the protein in my diet, when I found this at my local - Godrej Nature's Basket, I immediately grabbed it to try and share :)

Roasted Channa - high protein and guilt free snacking!

I also got soya nuts (unpictured) and they were very very tasty too. It gives that crunchy, salty, chat-pata satiety which I am usually looking for in a salty snack like chips or other fried savoury like bhujia, mixtures, murukkus, chakli etc.

For about 350 cals in 100 grams & nearly 15 grams of protein, it is a healthy alternate. Rs.60 for just 150 grams is pricey. But these are the tastiest ones I have had in some time, so I am prepared to pay it up!

Ofcourse you can be creative and add to salads. That would a complete winner. But this is how it travelled with me to work today:

Evening snack - healthy and wholesome

I have done a post on healthy snack ideas here in case you might be interested.

Always remember - have at hand things that you can eat when hunger strikes - like fruit that is cut up or an extra roti/ paratha to make a hearty evening snack( a trick I learned from Prachi), some cheese, yogurt, milk etc. That way you can preempt hunger and stick to you desired calorie intake.

8 comments:

  1. Since I am craving for salty snacks will try to get this..Thank you Sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so yummy! We don't get it here-or may be I should look in the Indian groceries to see if we do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey these two are my favourite snacks, the chickpeas and soya. just yummy aren't they. Incidentally I was just planning to try to make them at home over the weekend. They are very easy to make it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh really?? do share the recipe & details!!!

      Delete
    2. Here's my recipe post
      http://newnimprovedme.blogspot.in/2013/04/roasted-chickpeas.html

      Delete
  4. Fortunately in our office we get loads of healthy snacks like Nachni Sev/ namkeen etc....these things help a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lucky you.. we dont get a single good thing here!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Yes. I Know you are thinking something. Please say it! Every word keeps me going!