Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Chennai Dream Runners 10k - Race Recap

 
Both the Scientist and I had taken yesterday off, and had an extended weekend in Chennai. Thats why I keep thinking that today is Monday, not Tuesday!

Anyway, we reached Chennai on Saturday afternoon and hired a cab to get home!! We had decided that we'd leave for the packet pick up for the race by about 3 o clock so that we'd be there well on time. But BIL sent the car only at 4 and therefore we were running late. Add to it the bad traffic in Chennai, I was worried that they'd close down the BIB distribution because the website said they'd only be open till 5 p.m. Being unable to reach the Race desk in the hotel where the expo was on the Husband and I were prepared for me to forego the race.Boo!!! Meanwhile - both Chittu and I were running a severe cold and I felt like my head would explode in pain!!

Luckily thanks to the Indian Stadard Time - when we reached they said that the counter would be open till 6 p.m.Whew!!! I had left my id card back home and had another panic attack wondering if they'd refuse to give me the bib and the timing chip! Luck was on my side again and the kind folks at the Chennai Dream Runners Organising Team just gave me my packet without much fuss. Here's a relieved me:

We were going to meet the Scientist's friend -wife & kid at the mall, and so we drove to a new mall of Chennai. We chatted a little as we played bowling, had dinner and headed home. It started raining heavily on our way back and we had to wade through shin deep water to reach home from the curb of the road. I had intended to hit the bed early as the run on Sunday was to begin at 5.30 a.m which meant I had to be at the venue at 5 a.m. which meant we should leave home at 4.30 a.m. Early, is it not for a Sunday? But we reached pretty late and it was 11 by the time I hit the bed!

Again, there was destined to be a mess up in the morning. The taxi I booked landed up at 4.45  a.m. the route map to the start point would not load on the Scientist's phone, and once again, I thought I'd be late for the race! Adding to it, it was also drizzling and I was wondering if the race would be cancelled.


We made it to the race venue after some anxious moments. The Scientist was sweet enough to come along with me and wait as I ran the 10k, leaving a sleeping Chittu back home with FIL. Just before the flag off was announced, FIL called that Chittu had woken up and was crying for us, and it was not even 5.30 a.m. That did add to my worry, but I decided to keep it away!



I had aimed to run the 10k in 75 mins. I finished in 1:17 a personal best. Did I say, Chennai weather wa the most perfect that could have been for a marathon run??

The race itself was well organised. The roads were cordoned off to traffic and volunteers were handing out water bottles at the stations. I grabbed a bottle as I ran and constantly sipped water and kept washing my face.

At the 45 minute mark I had completed a 6k and a bottle of water. I also gulped down some electrolyte water, grabbed another bottle of water and ran along. I was feeling good.  Only I kept needing to pee from almost the beginning of the race. Even though there might have been a bathroom at one of the petrol pumps through which we ran, I chose not to stop for fear of slowing down. The weather was so good and I was feeling awesome. Around the 7 k mark, I slowed down and even took walking breaks as we ran over a flyover. My focus was on finishing on time and even though I really needed to pee, I forged ahead.

As I ran towards the finishing line, I looked out for the Scientist. I have run the fastes I probably ever have in my whole life! Here is me with my medal. I sure am proud of what I did :



 Post run eating went a bit out of control.But back at home, sanity reigns again! Running the 10k was only a part of the half marathon training plan. But my brain wants to still be so happy about it!

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thanks Sheetal for your unstinting support!

      Delete
  2. Great Job Sugar!! I even looked for your pic in the Dream Runners FB page, but cudnt find you! All the best for the half-marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet of you!! I guess all the pics are not yet uploaded on the FB page! I will be sure to show off once they do!

      Delete
  3. I love your determination!!!! U travelled all the way to Chennai to chase your dream! wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smita... thankyou!! running in Chennai is no big deal!! we go there atleast once a month. But yes it was a dream for me to run in a state otehr than K'taka - I did in Kerela and Tamilnadu!!

      Delete
  4. You look stunning in the first pic...! Good luck with the half-marathon. Sure you'd do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running 10kms is itself bad enough.. thinking of 21.1 kms I think I'll have a panic attack already!

      Delete
  5. You look great, i think you have lost inches and more inches, your body looks pretty toned. Great going..

    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Deepa. But my weight stays high up there :)

      Delete
    2. You know what? you inspired me to get off my lazy ass and start working out again. I am 5 ft 3 and weight 60 kgs, I used to weigh 72 kgs, I went back to being 56 kgs, then, I didn't work out and started eating unhealthy stuff, now, I am back to 60. From the past week or so, I have started working out, I do kick-boxing (Jeanette Jenkins), Jillian Michaels (No More trouble zones), I run for 35 minutes and then do some free weights. This has been my schedule. My breakfast is a bowl of fruits with a teaspoon of honey and 2 teaspoons of cottage cheese, this is very low in calories and keep me full for 3 hours.
      Yesterday, I was contemplating as to whether I should go for a run or not, then, I thought about you and how you make time in the early morning and work out with a full determination, I felt ashamed of myself, then off I went :).

      Deepa

      Delete

Yes. I Know you are thinking something. Please say it! Every word keeps me going!